Mathematical and Scientific Literacy
How does the science curriculum enable students to engage critically yet in an informed way with the important science-related issues that they encounter in their lives?
- Linking School Mathematics to Out-of-School Mathematical Activities
This research will investigate ways that mathematics, done in secondary mathematics classrooms, can be linked to or undertaken in a manner similar to how it might be approached in out-of-school activities.
- 21st Century Science Evaluation: Students’ understandings of science explanations and ideas-about-science
This evaluation project is focusing on the Core 21st Century Science course whose central aims are to equip students with a deep understanding of key Science Explanations and an understanding of certain Ideas-about-Science.
- Formal Science Education and Life-Long Learning
The central focus of this Fellowship is to consider what individuals need to know about science in order to engage with scientific questions raised in the news media.
- Teaching about the Nature of Scientific Knowledge and Investigation on A/AS Level Science Courses
This project developed teaching resources designed to promote students’ understandings about aspects of the nature of science in A/AS level science courses.
- Young people’s understanding of, and attitudes to, ‘the new genetics’
The aim of this project was to provide a ‘snap shot’ of young people’s understanding of and attitudes to gene technology as they came to the end of their compulsory science education